Summer is the most anticipated season! Warm days are an invitation to practice outdoor activities with loved ones, this includes your pets. But just as the sun can be harmful to us, it can also be harmful to them. Pets feel even hotter than us, putting them at risk of getting sick. Unlike humans, they do not sweat through their skin, but through their cushion — that little paw pad, their muzzle, and their mouth. When the muzzle is short, as in bulldogs and pugs, the risks are bigger because they take longer to regulate their temperatures. Thus, some care is needed to preserve your pet's well-being, protecting them from excessive heat and burns. For this reason, we have compiled a list of hot tips for you to enjoy a safe summer with your best friend!
- Don't leave your pet in the car. You may think that leaving your pet in the car for a few minutes is no big deal. However, cars heat up quickly in the heat and it may take less than 10 minutes for your pet to experience a sudden increase in temperature, causing heat stroke and difficulty breathing.
- Watch out for their paws. Animals heat up and cool down from the bottom up. It’s therefore necessary to pay attention to ground temperature as it is in direct contact with their paws. As a solution, try to walk your pet when the outside temperature is less than 75 degrees. If you live in the sun belt, walking your dog at night or wearing doggy boots can be a good solution.
- Applying sunscreen. Pets also suffer from sunburn, especially those with short fur or fair skin, and like us, it causes discomfort and can lead to illness. If you plan to walk with your partner, apply special sunscreen for pets every 3 or 4 hours in places with less hair.
- Hydrate your pet well. Pets get more thirsty than we do in hot weather, so it's very easy for them to get dehydrated at times so make sure your fur friend has easy access to clean and fresh water, indoors and outdoors, especially on the street.
- Best walking hours. Although pets like to sunbathe, it is preferable to keep them in the shade as often as possible to avoid overheating. Therefore, give preference to walks in parks and places where there is grass and shade, at times when the temperature is cooler.
- Avoid using uncomfortable materials when choosing your pet's accessory, especially for collars and muzzles. Avoid fabrics that can cause friction and irritability on the skin, further impairing their well-being. Here at Sambboho, you can find hypoallergenic accessories, made in real leather and treated with organic beeswax, providing the softness and comfort that your pet deserves! Well, we hope you found these tips helpful to making the summer with your best friend amazing! They may seem obvious to most, but it is always good to be reminded of them as our busy schedules make us inattentive, negatively affecting our fur babies' well -being. We wish you a wonderful summer, filled with incredible moments that will be forever etched in your memory. And if you're looking for unique pieces to rock, take a look here on our website. We have just released an amazing collection of bikinis imported directly from Rio de Janeiro the beaches to match your pet's accessories.